How to Install QuickBooks Desktop
How to Install QuickBooks Desktop on Microsoft Windows
Congratulations on choosing QuickBooks Desktop software! QuickBooks is by far the most popular accounting software for small businesses and will make tracking your business’s finances much easier especially if you are a business owner who also does the books. You will find many of the data entry tasks have been automated to make it almost hands off. If you have questions or need help installing or using QuickBooks Desktop, please call 1-888-877-3665
Before you begin!
Please take a moment and check QuickBooks Desktop system requirements to ensure your Windows PC meets the requirements set forth by Inuit.
Below are helpful steps and a video that’ll surely guide you.
If following instructions is not your thing or if you want to verify what you’re doing is correct, please watch this video provided by QuickBooks on installing QuickBooks Desktop.
Here are your step-by-step instructions to install QuickBooks Desktop on your Windows PC.
- You may need to Download QuickBooks Desktop. If you’ve already downloaded it, proceed to step 2.
- Locate and double-click the QuickBooks executable file (example:QuickBooksPro2019.exe) found in your downloads or wherever you downloaded it to start the QuickBooks installation.
- Select “Yes to All” if “How do I update my data to a new version of QuickBooks Desktop?” prompted you to overwrite the existing extracted files.
- Select “Next” to begin the installation.
- Read the “Software License Agreement”. If you agree, select “I accept the terms in the license agreement” and click “Next”.
- Enter your License and Product numbers, then select “Next”.
- Select the type of installation for the computer.
- Express: Allows the installer to make the recommended choices for you, including replacing your previous version of QuickBooks if you have one. Note: The Accountant Edition does not replace older years by default.
- Custom and Network Options: Choose this if you will be using multiple versions of QuickBooks Desktop on the computer OR if you will use QuickBooks to share data with other users on a network.
- Select where you will be using QuickBooks. Note: If you selected Express in the previous step, skip to step 10.
- I’ll be using QuickBooks on this computer – choose this if you are not using QuickBooks in a network OR if you are installing on a computer that will be used for running QuickBooks but will not store the company file.
- I’ll be using QuickBooks on this computer, AND I’ll be storing our company file here so it can be shared over our network – choose this if you will be running QuickBooks and storing/sharing the company file on the network from this machine.
- I will NOT be using QuickBooks on this computer. I will be storing our company file here so it can be shared over a network. (A license is not required for this option.) – choose this if no one will be using QuickBooks on this computer and it will be used as a file server to share the company file over the network.
- Choose a new install location. Note: You can browse to a new directory, choose an older version to overwrite, or click “Next” to install to the default directory.
- Select “Install” to continue, or choose “Back” if you need to go back and review any of the previous screens.
- If any QuickBooks processes were running during the installation, the installer might ask you to restart your computer. Otherwise, select “Open QuickBooks to get started!”
That is it! Once you have created your new company file or upgraded your existing company files be sure to update QuickBooks and schedule a regular backup to a secure location. Also, be sure to Activate and Register QuickBooks Desktop.
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please post them below.