Knowledge Base Help Center
Restore a backup company file
“**Once you convert a company file to a later version of QuickBooks, you cannot open it in an earlier version. If you want to use your previous QuickBooks version, you can restore a backup file you created using that version.
To restore a backup company file
- Go to the “File” menu, then select “Open or Restore Company”.
- Select “Restore a backup copy”, then Next.
- Choose “Local Backup”, then “Next”.
- From the “Look In” drop-down, choose the location of the backup file.
- Select the backup file from the folder. The file name should appear as YOURCOMPANY.qbb.
- Select “Open”, then “Next”.
- From the “Save in” drop-down, choose the location where you want to save the restored file.
- In the “File name” field, type a new file name. Note that the “Save as type” field will automatically populate QuickBooks Files (*.QBW).
- Select “Save”, then carefully read and respond to any messages that appear before restoration begins.
For users with Assisted Payroll (the US only)
To restore a backup for earlier QuickBooks Desktop versions (2010 and prior):
If you have a backup copy of your company file made with QuickBooks 2010 or later, and you want to restore the backup to your original QuickBooks version prior to 2010, you can use the Restore Backup For Earlier QuickBooks Version utility instead of the standard Restore command.
To use the tool:
- Go to the “File” menu, then select “Utilities” – “Restore Backup For Earlier QuickBooks Version”.
- Select the “…” button next to the Backup filename field.
- Choose the backup company file, then select “Open”.
- Select the “…) button next to the Restored filename field.
- From the Save in drop-down, select the folder where you want to save the restored company file.
- In the File name field, enter a unique name for the restored file to avoid overwriting an existing company file, then select “Save”.
- Select “OK”.