Knowledge Base Help Center
Moving or Reinstalling QuickBooks Desktop on another computer
How to Move or Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop on another computer
One day you may need to reinstall or move QuickBooks to another computer for several reasons. You can use the following steps to complete this process or call us at 1-888-877-3665 for expert QuickBooks desktop support.
How to Move QuickBooks Desktop using the Migrator Tool
You can now move your QuickBooks Desktop version and company files in a few clicks using the Migrator tool in QuickBooks Desktop 2019.
How the tool works
- You must be the Admin user to use the Move QuickBooks tool.
- You’ll create a complex password to unlock everything that is transferred to your new computer.
- Write the password down so you don’t forget it. You’ll only need this password once.
- The tool will copy up to the last 3 company files opened (and all supporting files) to a USB flash drive.
- You’ll use the USB flash drive to physically move the files but the migrator tool does all the technical work.
- The tool will download the right version of QuickBooks Desktop to your new computer and sets it up with your files.
- The tool won’t reformat your drive or erase any of your other files.
What you will need
- Have your new computer connected to the internet
- A USB flash drive with enough free space to hold your QuickBooks files. The Move QuickBooks tool will tell you how much free space you need. Most people need between 150 and 250 MB.
What will get copied
The QuickBooks Desktop tool will copy all of the data required to get QuickBooks Desktop installed and running on your new computer.
The Tool WILL Copy:
- Local attachments
- Advanced reports (for QuickBooks Enterprise)
- Spell Checker (spell.ini and UserDictionary.tlx)
- QuickBooks letters and templates
- Related files, custom templates & forms
- Printer Setting (PrintEng.ini, wpr.ini, and QBPrint.qbp)
- Business Planner (.bpw)
- Statement writer (for QuickBooks Accountant)
- Loan Manager (.lmr)
- QuickBooks Desktop details: This includes the version & others details required to install QuickBooks Desktop on your new computer
- Scheduled & memorized reports
- Financial Statement Designer (FSD clients)
- Financial Statement Designer (FSD data)
- Cash Flow Projector (.cfp)
- Loan Manager (.lmr)
- Recent company files: QuickBooks will copy up to the last 3 company files that you opened on the old computer, including sample files
The Tool WILL NOT Copy:
- Backup files: Any manual backups that you created will not be copied.
- Older Company Files: Any company files that you haven’t recently opened will not be copied. QuickBooks will copy only the 3 most recently opened company files. Any others will have to be moved manually or restored from IDP.
- Intuit Data Protect (IDP): If you have Intuit Data Protect, you’ll need to uninstall it on the old computer, sign in again on the new computer and go through the setup process. All previous backups will still be available.
- Multi-user setup: If you are using QuickBooks Desktop in a multi-user setup, the configuration will not be copied to your new computer.
- Payroll & payment setup: If you have payroll or payments services set up on your old computer, you will have to log in again on the new computer as part of our effort to protect your data.
Moving your program and files
On the old computer:
- Go to QuickBooks “File menu” – “Utilities” – “Move QuickBooks to another computer”.
- Select “I’m Ready”, then create a one-time password.
- Choose the USB thumb drive you will use, then wait for all the needed files to be copied.
On the new computer:
- Insert the USB flash drive.
- Wait for the Move QuickBooks tool, or run M”ove_QuickBooks.bat” file from your flash drive.
- Enter the password you created, then select “Let’s go”.
- Wait for the Migrator Tool to finish.
**The migrator files will be automatically deleted from your USB thumb drive when you’re finished. Your QuickBooks files will still be on your old computer. Cepheus Solution’s strongly recommends you change the name of the company files on the old computer to avoid using the old company file.
What to do next
Since the tool does NOT copy some information, you may need to do additional tasks in order to get up and running on the new computer.
Depending on what you have on the old computer, you may need to:
Manually moving to or reinstalling QuickBooks Desktop on another computer
Reinstall or move your QuickBooks Desktop installation
- Have your product and license information available.
- Uninstall existing QuickBooks program before attempting a reinstall on the same computer.
- On the computer where you want QuickBooks Desktop installed, download the QuickBooks Desktop installation files
- Install QuickBooks Desktop as you normally would. See Install QuickBooks Desktop for more detailed steps.
Backup and Restore Your Company Files
- On the old computer insert and USB thumb drive with enough space to back up your company files.
- From QuickBooks Desktop software select “File” – “Back Up Company” – “Create Local Backup“
- From the “Create Backup” window select “Local Backup” and select “Next” to continue
- Select “Save it now” and select “Next” to continue.
- If the company files are stored on another machine such as a server you will receive a warning about the company files being stored on a remote computer select “OK” to continue.
- Now from the “Save Backup Copy” window select the USB thumb drive and select “Save”
- Once the backup process is complete you will receive a popup window notifying you of the successful backup
- On the new computer insert the same USB thumb drive you used to backup QuickBooks on your old pc.
- Open the new install of QuickBooks Desktop and select “Open or Restore an existing company“
- Select “Restore a backup copy” and then select “Next” to continue.
- Select “Local backup” and then select “Next” to continue.
- From the “OpenBackup Copy” window select the USB Thumb Drive and then the backup file you created on the old computer and then select “Open” to continue.
- Select “Next” on the next screen when asked, “Where do you want to restore the file?“.
- Select the folder where you would like to store your company files and select “Save“
- Finally, you will be asked if you are going to be hosting or sharing the file with or QuickBooks users and their workstations select “Yes” if the file will be used in multi-user mode or “No” if you are the only user.
Congratulations you should now be at the login screen for your QuickBooks company file. If you are in need of assistance please contact 1-888-877-3665 for expert QuickBooks support that will safely complete these tasks for you. If you have any questions or comments please post below.